Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 1

So I've been feeling overwhelmed about posting everything from our recent trip to Japan. I love the fact that with digital photography you can edit your pictures without the expense of printing them all out. But I took so many pictures that I don't even know where to start to manage them. So I've decided if I post a day of our adventures at a time, maybe I can get it done. So without further ado...here is Day 1!
Unfortunately it is probably not the most exciting since Day 1 was primarily a travel day. I was so nervous, anxious, terrified, of flying alone with our two daughters and being confined to a very small area for 12+ hours. But it actually all turned out okay. I was super prepared. They each had their own little travel backpack filled with new toys, games, and snacks. Before we got on the plane at LAX I had them run around the airport like crazy. They did laps going the opposite way on the moving walkways so it was kind of like a nice little treadmill for them to burn some energy before the long flight. Luckily it was pretty dead in the terminal we were in until just before the plane boarded, so I didn't feel bad about the ruckus we were creating. We discovered that yes, it is possible for all three of us to squeeze into the tiny airplane restrooms. Not comfortable but we managed. And the girls loved having their own tv screen to watch videos and cartoons. I think Eden watched Tangled three times. Olive was a little harder to keep occupied, but I figured as much going into it.

The hardest part was the last four hours or so they both fell asleep and tried to stretch out which was pretty much impossible. So as they slept, I did my best to keep Olive's head from poking out of her seat and getting whacked by the flight attendants trays, and Eden's feet from stretching out and kicking the passenger next to her. Needless to say, I did not sleep.


We arrived in Narita airport and made our way through customs and the girls were super excited to see Nana who met us at the airport. We boarded a bus and drove into the heart of Tokyo to where there home was. My Dad met us and we were so excited to settle in. They have the most incredible views from their home and it was so neat to see Tokyo from such a height. Tokyo is huge. As far as we could see there were buildings and skyscrapers.
That night we walked to a great little restaurant with delicious food. I think it was called Bali, Bali and it was really neat. They had a little hibachi grill on each of the tables and you order marinated meats and vegetables and cook them right there at your table. The girls didn't make it through dinner without falling asleep so we carried them home and all crashed.

No comments: