Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 3

Day 3 was a bit of a bummer. All the stress and fatigue of traveling finally caught up to me and I came down with a cold. So while everyone was at church, I slept and slept and slept some more.

With that being said I'll give a little more info about our travels. We were in Japan during their Golden Week which is a national week long holiday. On May 5-at the end of the holiday is Kodomo no-hi or Childrens' Day. It was originally a holiday to celebrate just boys, but has been changed to include both genders and is a day to celebrate children's personalities and happiness. As part of the holiday, they raise carp-shaped flags which come from a Chinese legend that a carp that swims upstream becomes a dragon. So almost everywhere we went during this time there were a ton of carp-shaped flags. It was very interesting to learn about that and be able to join in celebration of the holiday.

No comments: